Thursday 14 May 2009

Gardens

Having read a recent post on my sister’s blog (Helen at Home), I have realised that I am suffering from two distinct separate diseases (oops, tautology alert!). She wrote a wonderful post about their garden and included a mention of their cat - William. I then realised how much I miss having feline company, and have actually been suffering from Cat Deprivation Syndrome (CDS) for the last twelve years. This is because I have always lived in rented accommodation where pets are banned.
This got me thinking about the fact that I have also been suffering from GDS - Garden Deprivation Syndrome for an equal amount of time. The latter is a very serious disease as it leads to all sorts of problems including:

  • Being very restricted on the plants you can grow
  • By far the most serious one; of having to grow all of your favourite plants in containers, and having to move entire truckloads of them when you move house!
  • Not being able to plant a hedge
  • Having hundreds of unused packets of seeds stored systematically in a shoebox and deteriorating year by year
  • Not having a lawn to sit on in summer - even a bumpy one full of daisies
  • Not being able to put up nest boxes for bird and bats and bees
  • Owning mounds and mounds of gardening magazines to help combat the frustration
  • Not being able to host a BBQ or garden party
  • Being jealous of the entire family!

(The photo is of my Mum’s garden in the height of summer)

We may have found a cure for this second disease (maybe even the first - but Mark has to agree to us getting two kittens first), in that the new house happens to come with a garden! Not a very big garden mind, but my first bit of soil. I can actually put plants in the ground - I even quiver at the thought. Watch this space for garden postings when we have actually moved...

4 comments:

Scriptor Senex said...

No pressure on Mark, then!!! Having had a brief spell at renting and needing one extra removal van for the plants I can imagine how thrilled you must be at the prospect of your very own garden. You'll have to explore what cuttings / divisions you want!

14 May 2009 at 21:37  
Graham Edwards said...

Yes gardening can be real fun and very therapeutic. As a Doc I'm sure you'd recommnd it. But it can also be a lifetime of work. I have spent nearly 16 years on my present garden moving many tens of tons of soil by hand (well shovel and wheelbarrow actually)and it's beginning to take shape. I hope that you have faster results.

15 May 2009 at 07:37  
Mickle in NZ said...

A garden and two kittens, sounds lovely. I expect your garden wont be semi vertical like my mini wilderness here.

Its a pity cats can't really be trained or they could do the digging for you!

Would be way to energetic for my old moggy.

I hope you have lots of fun right know planning your garden,

Michelle and Zebbycat in Wellington

15 May 2009 at 11:54  
Mickle in NZ said...

know? now

proofread, Mickle, proofread

15 May 2009 at 11:55